2006: Pat Cashman’s maiden voyage, “Northsound 1380 ESPN Radio”

In May, 2006, Pat Cashman launched a new radio show on KRKO/Everett which aired Wednesdays from 1 to 3pm, and lasted for about a year. This recording provides a snapshot of the very first segment of the new program. Pat explains why he had to rethink the ‘edgy’ show he had originally planned, relates a drug testing experience, and lets us hear what’s on the other radio stations right now.

Pat is joined by Nelson (control board operator), and Justin (new arrival at the station, who just graduated from WSU).

Runtime:  16:58

For Pat Cashman and Lisa Foster on-demand, visit “Peculiar Podcast.”

Author: Sam Lawson

Student engineer at pioneer Nathan Hale radio station KNH 1210 in 1970 (prior to KNHC). Also attended North Seattle Community College and L.H. Bates in Tacoma (KTOY). Sam’s career began as a KJR request line operator in 1970, with his first on-air job at KRKO in 1972. In 1976 he segued to overnights at KTAC as Cory Landon, then weekends at KING. In 1978 he moved to Lewiston, Idaho for afternoons on KOZE and KRLC. Throughout the ‘80s he was an announcer and/or engineer at "the best mix and biggest variety" of Spokane radio stations; including 97KREM, KZUN, KGA, KKER (The Sam & Pam Show), KZZU, PD of KJRB, KISC, and the voice of KAYU-TV. In 1989 he moved to Los Angeles as Assistant Chief Engineer and weekends at KZLA/KLAC. Also engineered for KBIG, KFI, Premiere Radio Networks, CBS Radio, and others. After avoiding any actual work for nearly 45 years, now happily retired and very appreciatively back in the great Pacific Northwest! --- View other articles by Sam Lawson --- Sam Lawson airchecks

2 thoughts on “2006: Pat Cashman’s maiden voyage, “Northsound 1380 ESPN Radio”

  1. Was this right after he left THE BUZZ? Why not do a once weekly show on Saturday morning instead? I doubt many would remember to tune in on Wednesdays. There was also more of an available audience on Saturday mornings.

    1. After he was let go by The Buzz, KOMO picked him up in pretty short order. I think that was in ’99. He stayed at KOMO until it went all-news in late 2002 or early 2003. Then he did mornings at KJR-FM for a couple years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Some comments may be held for moderation. (New users)

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.